Recent Posts
Post Categories

Contact Us: 0490 512 599 or [email protected]


Working Visas In Australia

Immigration And Visa Services For Working

Skilled Independent (Subclass 189) Working Visas In Australia

This visa allows a foreign-national skilled worker to live and work in Australia as a permanent resident. It is intended for those aspirants who are independent, that is, they are not sponsored by any entity – employer, territory or state.

Visa Criteria

In order to be an eligible candidate for a Subclass 189 visa, you need to:

  • to fill a position listed on the ‘skilled occupation list’
  • Meet the eligibility requirements

Under age 50
Basic English skills
Meet health and character requirements

  • Undergo a skill assessment tests to show the department of immigration that you have the necessary skills
  • Upon successful assessment test, submit an EOI (Expression of Interest). you can do this independently or take Mr. Migrate agent’s help
  • After receiving an invitation to apply, submit your final application with necessary documents within 60 days.


  1. As this visa is intended for skilled workers to move permanently to Australia, you may include your spouse/partner, dependent children, and dependent relatives.
  2. This visa is granted on a point based system, wherein various factors are considered such as age, work experience, education, and English language ability.
  3. On average it takes about 4 – 6 months of processing time after submitting the final application

Independent Working Visas In Australia allows you to immigrate to Australia along with your family, live and work anywhere in Australia, pursue studies and be entitled to social security payments and Medicare.

Skilled Nominated Subclass 190 Visa

This points-based visa is for skilled workers who are nominated by an Australian state or territory allowing them to live and work in Australia on a permanent basis. Subclass 190 visa allows an individual, having qualifications and skills needed by the Australian government and their occupation is listed in the SOL (Skilled Occupation List), but cannot meet the pass mark required to obtain Subclass 189 visa (skilled independent visa).

Eligibility Criteria

In order to be an eligible candidate for a Subclass 190 working visas in Australia, you need to:

  • Your occupation has to be listed in the SOL
  • Earn a minimum of 60 points based on age, qualification, English proficiency, state sponsorship, and skill assessment
  • Have work experience based on the sponsored state/territory requirements
  • Be under the age of 50
  • Provide health and character certifications
  • Be nominated by a State or Territory Government

You must have the above points covered before sending an Expression of interest (EOI).And once you meet the basic requirements, you will receive an invitation to apply. Just like subclass 189, you may include your dependent family members, spouse or partner while applying for the visa.


State/territory sponsors a visa of a skilled worker to fill the skill gap in their state/territory. Thus there are some obligations that the sponsoring state/territory will require you to meet.

  1. Live in the sponsoring state/territory for 2 years once the visa is granted
  2. Keep them informed of any change to your address
  3. Complete surveys and provide information when asked.

Sponsored skilled working visa in Australia gives you all the benefits that a permanent resident visa holder enjoys.

You may include your family in this application, including your spouse, dependent children and dependent parents.

Skilled Regional (Provisional) Subclass 489 Visa

This 4-year work visa allows you to live and work in the specified region of Australia – South Australia, the Australian Capital Territory, Northern Territory, and Tasmania.

The visa requires you to be sponsored either by a state or a relative and to possess skills for the occupation relevant to the Medium and long term Strategic Skills List (MLTSSL).

State sponsorship:

Each state has unique skill shortages and thus occupations appear at different times on different lists. Each state varies in its specific requirements – some require higher English scores, while others require more work experience, and some may require detailed evidence of applicant’s assets. Irrespective of the requirement, the applicant must meet the eligibility criteria to gain a Regional (provisional) visa to live up to 4 years in the designated area in Australia.


Relative sponsorship:

To qualify, you can be sponsored by an eligible relative living in the designated area in Australia (regional or low population growth area). Relatives who may sponsor for the subclass 489 visa are parents, brothers, sisters, uncles, aunts, nephews, nieces, first cousins, and grandparents.

The applicant and the sponsoring relative must live, work and contribute to the growth of the same designated area. Moreover, you, as the applicant must stay in the same area for up to 4 years. This will additionally contribute to the criteria while applying for permanent residency in Australia.


  • Stay up to 4 years in Australia
  • Live, study and work in the designated area
  • With a valid visa, travel to and from Australia any number of times, anywhere
  • Subclass 489 visa will help you apply for permanent residency

Skilled Regional 887 Visas

The subclass 887 visa is available to applicants who have lived and worked in specific areas of regional Australia. Further, you must live in the same designated area for two years and work in the same area for one year.


  • To apply for the subclass 887 working visa in Australia, you must live in Australia and meet the ‘live in and worked in’ criteria. Further, you must already hold any of the following visas for at least 2 years:
    • Skilled Regional (Provisional) Subclass 489
    • Skilled Regional Sponsored Subclasses 475 and 487
    • Skilled Designated Area Sponsored Subclass 496
    • Skilled Independent Regional Subclass 495
  • You must have worked full time in a regional, a metropolitan with low population growth or a designated area in Australia for at least one year. The ‘work’ here means either one full-time job or two or more part-time jobs for at least 35 hours per week; this could be in the form of paid employment or self-employment.
  • One of the important criteria for this visa is to meet their health standards – undergoing health examination and submitting the results for assessment.
  • Lastly, you will be assessed for their character requirements as well. This will include getting a police clearance certificate in evidence of having a good character among others.

Being granted with subclass 887 visa means you and your family can stay, work and study in the country without any restrictions, enroll in Medicare schemes, and sponsor relatives.

Working Holiday Maker Visa (Subclass 417)

Subclass 417 is ideal for people who want to have a good holiday in Australia and work to fund their holiday (applicable for individuals not less than 18 years of age and not more than 31 years of age).


  • You are at least 18 and not yet 31 years of age at the time of application
  • Do not have a dependent child accompanying you during your visit
  • Should be living outside Australia while applying for this visa
  • Have a passport from an eligible country – Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Belgium, Canada, Cyprus, Hong Kong, Ireland, Italy, Japan, South Korea, Malta, Netherlands, Norway, Sweden, Taiwan, United Kingdom, among others
  • Have enough money to buy a return or outward travel ticket at the end of your stay
  • Meet Australians health requirements
  • Meet the character requirements
  • Cleared of any debts to the Australian government
  • There is a good chance of finding temporary jobs to fund the holiday


  • Visa 417 lets you stay in Australia for up to 12 months
  • Work with one employer for up to six months
  • Study up to 4 months
  • Leave and reenter Australia any number of times, provided the visa is valid

Working and Holiday Visa (Subclass 462)

This is a temporary Australian visa that allows you to work while enjoying your holiday in the country.

  • You must be between 18 and 30 years of age (not yet turned 31 at the time of application).
  • You must hold a passport from an eligible country – United States of America, Argentina, Singapore, Slovak Republic, Slovenia, Spain, Thailand, Turkey, Uruguay, Chile, China, Hungary, Indonesia, Israel, Luxembourg, Malaysia, Peru, Poland, Portugal, San Marino, and Vietnam.
  • Have no dependent child with you in Australia
  • Have not previously entered Australia on a working holiday visa
  • Meet character and health specifications
  • Have health insurance
  • You have a return ticket or sufficient fund to get a return ticket at the end of your stay
  • You have a good chance of finding work to help fund your trip
  • Have proof of English proficiency


  • You can enter Australia within 12 months from the sanctioned date
  • Stay in Australia for almost a year
  • Travel to and from Australia as many times without further paperwork
  • Pursue studies
  • Change jobs every 6 months
  • Be eligible to apply for second work and holiday visa (subject to criteria).

Mr. Migrate is dedicated to providing the best advice and support to our clients wanting a working visa in Australia.

Visa Conditions

  • The visa allows you to stay in Australia for 12 months, starting from the date of initial entry to Australia.
  • You may leave and re-enter Australia any number of times during this 12 month period
  • You can study or train in Australia for up to 4 months
  • You are permitted to work in Australia, but you cannot work for longer than 6 months with any one employer