Recent Posts
Post Categories

Contact Us: 0490 512 599 or [email protected]


Student Visa In Australia

Immigration And Visa Services For Student

Student Visa In Australia

A Student visa in Australia is granted to international applicants wishing to study in Australia – primary, high school, short courses that range from 3 months to a year, bachelor’s degree, master’s degree, or Ph.D. degree. The validity period of such visa is usually determined by the length of the course.

A legal guardian may accompany the student, though only certain people are able to apply as a Student Guardian and they must fulfill a set of criteria in order to process the student visa in Australia. These guardians are required to maintain their visa conditions while staying in Australia.

While studying, students are also allowed to work for up to forty hours per fortnight throughout a semester, and unlimited hours when the course is not in session (valid for students above the age of 18 years and again subject to certain criteria).


Student visa lasts for the duration of the study program, including holiday periods and may allow you some extra time to remain in Australia at the end of the course. However, during the validity period, the visa holder may enter and leave Australia multiple times. The same rules are applicable for the student guardian as well – they stay for the same length of time as the student and will have to leave the country along with the student.


  • Confirmation of Enrollment (COE) from your chosen institute before applying for a visa
  • Good grip on written and spoken English (students from nations like the US, UK, and New Zealand are not required to demonstrate this capability.)
  • Evidence of sufficient funds to cover tuition fees, travel expenses, and living cost for the intended period of stay
  • A complete health examination
  • Medical Insurance

International Student Visa In Australia

Student Visa Extension – Continue studying in Australia with further student subclass 500 visa while still in Australia

Many international students choose to stay on in Australia to complete further studies and gain a higher qualification; for example, progressing from a bachelor’s degree to an honors or master’s degree. This enables the students to maximize their time in Australia, gain advanced qualification and skills, and gain suitable employment related to their course.

migrate Student Visa In Australia

Visa Requirements

Enrollment in a registered course
The student applicant must be enrolled in a CRICOS-registered course or in a primary/high school program.

Genuine Temporary Entrant
The student must demonstrate their genuinity to complete the chosen course while in Australia and establish how their chosen field will improve their career prospects in their home country.

They must also comply with all visa requirements and are generally expected to return to their home country after completion of the course.

Country and Provider Risk Model
Every country and Australian education provider have different risk ratings. This rating determines the evidence required for the English language and financial capabilities.

Depending on the student’s home country and the chosen education provider, the applicant will fall under either of the following categories:

  • Regular Evidentiary Requirements – provide evidence of English language ability and finances.
  • Streamlined Evidentiary Requirements: evidence of English language ability or finances not generally required.

English Language Ability
If the applicant comes under the “Regular Evidentiary Requirements”, they will need to supply verification of their English language ability.

Generally, this would involve undertaking an English language test. The minimum requirements are as follows;

  • IELTS: 5.5 Average
  • TOEFL (Paper): 527
  • TOEFL IBT: 46
  • CAE (Cambridge): 162
  • PTE (Pearson): 42
  • OET (Occupational English Test): B Pass

However, if the student’s packaged course includes ELICOS (English language), a lower score on the above test is acceptable.

On the other hand, some students under this criterion are exempted from the English language test as:

  • They hold a passport from certain countries.
  • They have previously attained a degree in English medium or in Australia.
  • They are enrolled in similar types of courses.

Financial Requirement
Every applicant is required to provide proof of finance to complete their studies in Australia. This could be in the form of either:

  • Evidence of funds to cover the studies for the first 12 months of their stay in Australia; or
  • An Evidence of taxable income of their parents or spouse for the last 12 months.

Family Requirements
The members of the family must:

  • Remain a family member for the duration of their stay in Australia.
  • Work for over 40 hours per fortnight
  • Meet financial necessities
  • Meet health and character requirements
  • Maintain adequate health cover
  • Attend school if they are of school age

Enrollment in a registered course
As mentioned before, the applicant must be enrolled in a CRICOS-registered course or in a primary/high school program. And education provider can advise the department if the student’s attendance or course progress isn’t satisfactory. The definition of ‘satisfactory’ is determined by the individual educational institute.


How to apply?

The applicant can reside anywhere in the world or within Australia itself while applying for a student visa in Australia. If in Australia, the current visa must not be subject to a “no further stay” condition.

The application is completely electronic (online application) although it is possible to submit paper applications as well.

Visa Condition

Student visa in Australia is only valid for the duration of the course with an additional 2 months or so as per rules. Though, Ph.D. and Masters (research) students are allowed an additional 6 months of stay (till the marking of their thesis).

Once the course has commenced, the student may work for a maximum of 40 hours a fortnight whilst the course is in session.

The student cannot change to a lower course but may change to a higher level course while staying in Australia.

Evidence of acceptable health insurance has to be arranged in order to obtain a student visa. This is an ongoing condition of your visa.



This student visa program gives international students an opportunity to study in Australia and experience the unique Aussie lifestyle while gaining great new skills.

Student visas are issued by the Australian Department of Immigration and Border Protection (DIBP) and they also have options to apply for a longer stay such as Graduate Temporary Subclass 485 visas and General Skilled Migration.

Many students are often eligible for migration before they commence studies. For those of you considering a migrate Student Visa in Australia as part of an overall migration strategy, please contact one of our advisors for consultation.

English Language Intensive Courses for Overseas Students (ELICOS):

This visa, for overseas students, allows them to undertake a complete English language course (leading to a Certificate I, II, III or IV, or an English course that doesn’t result in a formal Australian award).

The subclass 570 visa permits these students to remain in Australia to study a full-time English language Intensive Course for Overseas Students (ELICOS).

It includes:

  • Courses that lead to a certificate I, II, III or IV.
  • Courses that lead to no formal Australian award.

If the student is studying ELICOS as a pre-requisite to a different course, they need to apply for the visa appropriate to your main course of study. If they are studying many courses, the main course is the higher level course.


Primary or middle School Sector:

The taxonomic category 571 visa permits students to study a regular school course.

This visa is intended for international students applying to study:

  • A school course
  • A middle school course, as well as junior and senior secondary or
  • An approved secondary school exchange program

If the applicant isn’t a Primary or middle School Sector student, in such case, the year or level of school study that the applicant intends to undertake should not be a year or level that’s more than 18 months below than the applicant has previously undertaken in Australia or another country.

Vocational Education and Training Sector:

The subclass 572 visa permits students to study a regular vocational education and training course.

This visa is designed for international students applying to study:

  • A certificate I, II, III and IV (except ELICOS)
  • A VET certification or advanced certification
  • A vocational graduate certificate or
  • A vocational graduate certification

Higher Education Sector:

The subclass 573 visa permits students to study a full-time higher education course.

This visa is meant for international students applying to study:

  • Bachelor degree
  • Associate degree
  • Graduate certificate
  • Masters by coursework
  • Higher Education certificate or advanced diploma

Postgraduate Research Sector:

The subclass 574 visa permits students to do postgraduate research. It is also applicable to overseas students desire to earn a master’s (by research) or an academic degree.

This visa is meant for international students who need to study:

  • A Master’s degree by research
  • A doctoral degree

Non-award courses:

This is a visa for international students who want to undertake non-award foundation studies, other regular courses or parts of courses that don’t result in an Australian award.


Graduate Temporary Subclass 485 Visas

International students who have completed 2 years of study in Australia may apply for a temporary graduate subclass 485 visa. This visa has a validity of 18 months to 4 years depending on circumstances.

This is a good strategy to extend the time in Australia and improve a student’s chance of gaining a permanent or provisional skilled visa.


  • Post Study Work Stream: commonly referred to as the Post Study Work Visa (PSWV). Introduced in March 2013, this criteria is applicable for students applying for their first student visa after 5 November 2011
  • The Graduate Work Stream: criteria are similar to the 485 Graduate Skilled visa as it was prior to March 2013

Common Criteria

There are a number of requirements that are common to both the PSWV stream and the Graduate Work Stream;

  • Age – The applicant must be under the age of 50 at the date of lodging their application.
  • English – The applicant must demonstrate their English language ability, either through holding certain types of passport or by undertaking an English test. Evidence of proficient English must be provided on the date of application.
  • Staying in Australia – The student must meet the 2-year study requirement and have completed qualifications within six months of applying for the visa.

Where to apply?

The applicant must be in Australia when they make their application for a 485 visa, and must previously hold an eligible student visa within the 6 month period prior to application.

Including Family Members

You can include the following types of family members in your VISA application:

  • Spouses, de facto partners, and same-sex partners
  • Dependent children

If you already hold a 485 type visa, you can apply for other family members to join you in Australia on 485 visas.

Condition and Duration

The duration of a 485 visa will depend on your circumstances.
Graduate Workstream visas are valid for 18 months from the date of grant of the application.

Duration of the PSWV depends on which qualification has been completed in Australia as follows:

  • 2 years: completion of Bachelor Degree, Bachelor with Honors, Masters by Coursework or Masters (Extended)
  • 3 years: Masters by Research
  • 4 years: Doctorate

Whilst on a 485 visa, the student has unrestricted work rights in Australia.

However, they must maintain private health insurance whilst on a skilled graduate visa.